Taking short walks a few times a day is great for your health! If you can, take a quick hike around your building where you work or the neighborhood near where you work.
- Try to use sidewalks if you can.
- If you need to walk in the street always walk in the direction along with the traffic.
- Stay as close to the edge of the road as possible.
- Only cross streets at corners or at marked crosswalks.
- If you can, walk with co-workers.
- MapMyWalk - A free app. for your phone or computer! Walking for Fitness has never been easier! Search the google walking maps or use the walking route planner to track your walking distance and calories burned. Competitions, incentives, form and join groups to connect up and walk together.
- Santa Cruz Employees Walking Groups: Did you know that Santa Cruz County Employees have their own walking groups? We are called “SC County Strong”. Join www.mapmywalk.com and then e-mail Margaret Ingraham at Margaret.Ingraham@santacruzcounty.us and request an invitation to join the Group. It’s easy and it’s fun!
- Pedometer Apps:
- Phone Apps:
- Online Course: “Walking: Your Path to Health and Fitness”. Provided by our EAP (MHN), this course is intended to help you get started with a walking program. It provides information and strategies for getting started and for staying on track with your health and fitness. To access this free resource, go to:
Login in to MHN EAP:
- Company code: santacruz
- Select “E-learning at top of page on right side
- Select “Walking: Your Path to Health and Fitness” course
- Walking Maps - See the links on the right side of this page for walking maps for 701 Ocean, Emeline and Freedom campuses.